A few things I'm fond of that relate to human-centered business, creative focus, systems and self care.
(Note: I've linked to Amazon for the books, but you probably have an awesome independent bookstore that would love your dollars.)
Do the Work
- This podcast episode on time is SO GOOD
- Get to Work Book- my favorite day planner
- Apps: Evernote, Wunderlist (for list sharing), Google Drive, iCal
WORKING THROUGH EMOTIONS & BLOCKS
- a good therapist!
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown (all of her books are great, but this one is my favorite)
- Art & Fear by David Bayles
- Giving Fear a Bear Hug (blog post by Lisa Congdon)
- Creative Block by Danielle Krysa (This one specifically deals with artist block and focuses on visual art, but the principles really be applied to any medium/situation, and the interviews are fun to read.)
- Liz Lerman's Critical Response Process is applicable to any situation where you need to give/receive feedback.
- Many Moons Workbook if you're curious about moon cycles/connecting to nature/tapping into your intuition.
- Self Care That's Not a Mani-Pedi
- Amy Kuretsky writes a lot of great stuff about self-care that's not, you know, a juice cleanse.
- My preferred self care is going to my therapy group and reading memoirs written by foodies (like this one and this one) or stretching on the floor
- How to Not Always Be Working (a simple booklet for creative people)
- The Process of Letting Yourself Have a Creative Process by Jennifer Williams (another simple booklet)
- Gather the People by Sarah J. Bray (an honest, connection-based approach to rallying people around your work)
- You Need a Budget (there's a yearly cost, but I like it so much better than mint)
- The Money Book for Freelancers
- You are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero
APPROACHES TO BUSINESS
- Zingerman's Guide to Good Leading (written by a super successful businessman who believes that good things start with taking care of and knowing ourselves)
- Essentialism by Greg McKeown (simple but powerful principles around directing energy/making choices)
- I made a pinterest board of websites I love (many Squarespace sites) that are simple and clear. Check it out.
- Startup (a podcast about starting a podcast company)
- Being Boss (Entrepreneurship stuff- I particularly like this episode with life coach Jay Pryor, this one on Creating a Business Model, this one on SEO for Creative People, this one with Meg Keene of A Practical Wedding, and this one with Brenê Brown.)
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert (on working through creative blocks)
- The Have Company podcast
- Dear Sugar Radio (for life's tough shit)
- Success On Your Terms with Jenny Shih (some really smart points on awareness around blocks, specifying priorities, and embodiment)
Fuel & Inspiration
- Learning to Love You More by Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher (one of my very favorite art projects)
- 100 Pep Talks by Elise Blaha Cripe
- Advice from My 80-year-old Self by Susan O'Malley
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed (because your heart needs it in hard times)
- In the Company of Women: Inspiration and Advice from over 100 Makers, Artists, and Entrepreneurs by Grace Bonney (seriously inspiring stuff)
- Lisa Congdon interview on The Great Discontent
- A feminist business model! A Creative Mornings chat by Jennifer Armbrust
- David Foster Wallace's This is Water speech
- Embrace the Abyss- video of a talk given by Lisa Congdon
- How the Sausage Gets Made (via On Being)
- The Ghost Ship that Didn't Carry Us (advice for hard decisions)