Writing, coaching, and strategic planning for creative people and human-centered businesses.
I work one-on-one with clients to create clarity around your ideas, expertise, and goals so you can grow satisfying, impactful work.
(And feel less stuck. And partner with other awesome people and organizations. And build a world that’s more accepting, healthy, prosperous, creative, self-aware, and generous- I have lofty ambitions!)
You want to launch your new idea, grow your business, scale your products, write a book, and connect these things to the people who need them most. But you struggle to find consistent, focused momentum, and confidence around what you do.
This almost always stems from three things:
1) Messaging confusion. An inability to clearly see and communicate your expertise- what you do, who it's for, and why it's valuable.
2) A lack of clarity around future goals and the values that drive them. You need help seeing the big-picture- getting specific about what you're growing towards.
3) Movement without a plan. And not just any plan, but a plan that takes into account both your deep expertise and long-term goals. Without a plan, you continue to waste time overthinking your next move, working in spurts and then coming to a stand still, and feeling uncertain.
My Story Mapping process digs deeply into the pieces of your individual creative puzzle, taking into account your past experiences, trainings, interests, stuck places, and lifestyle.
Our work leaves you with:
- A step-by-step map designed to move you towards growth, taking into account your individual goals, values and expertise
- Messaging that captures the depth of your expertise: what you do, who it's for, why it's valuable
- A plan for connecting this messaging to your audience and potential clients, whether through your website, social media, newsletter or in person
- Resources: suggested partnerships, recommended books, and tools for more effective work
- Feedback and accountability
Need a new website? We can make this happen, too.
Need some help moving your work forward, but aren't ready to dig into the full Story Mapping process? These sessions are designed to give you feedback, and a few concrete next-steps. You get a pre-meeting questionnaire to focus our time, an hour-long coaching session, and a follow-up email summarizing our discussion.
Available for the month of June, new clients only | $45 | Email to book
3-session package | $625 | Email for additional information
More About Laura
I’m a teacher, maker, writer, director, and producer. As a scrappy artist working on productions with tiny budgets, I’ve worn all the hats necessary for making things happen: writing press releases and grants and copy; coordinating teams; managing budgets; overseeing events. I am equally excited about the big picture and the nitty gritty details (and hard work) necessary to get there.
My feedback is designed to serve you. I credit the Red Eye Theater’s Works In Progress program and artist Liz Lerman (check out her Critical Response Process) with teaching me to give (and accept) helpful feedback. My suggestions and advice give priority to your vision-- the thing you’ve given your best care, creative energy and hard work to.
I love a puzzle. Creative work is exactly this. I get to take a good look at the the big picture of your work, and the smaller pieces (website, social media, messaging, work habits, collaborations) that make up this big picture.
I see your expertise. My superpower is uncovering your superpowers. And making plans.
What else? Originally from Ohio, I am now that rare breed of Minnesotan that cherishes winters: the seasonal hardship that brings us together. My band of choice at karaoke is ABBA, and I throw a swell dinner party.
I live in South Minneapolis with my husband Ben, a video producer for non-profit and arts organizations, and our small son.